The European Technology Platform for Electricity Networks of the Future, also called SmartGrids ETP, is the key European forum for the crystallisation of policy and technology research and development pathways for the smart grids sector, as well as an the linking glue between EU-level related initiatives.
The SmartGrids European Technology Platform began its work in 2005. Its aim was to formulate and promote a vision for the development of European electricity networks looking towards 2020 and beyond.
The concept of SmartGrids was developed in 2006 by the European Technology Platform for Smart Grids, and concerns an electricity network that can intelligently integrate the actions of all users connected to it - generators, consumers and those that do both - in order to efficiently deliver sustainable, economic and secure electricity supplies. A smart grid employs innovative products and services together with intelligent monitoring, control, communication, and self-healing technologies in order to:
- Better facilitate the connection and operation of generators of all sizes and technologies;
- Allow consumers to play a part in optimising the operation of the system;
- Provide consumers with greater information and options for choice of supply;
- Significantly reduce the environmental impact of the whole electricity supply system;
- Maintain or even improve the existing high levels of system reliability, quality and security of supply;
- Maintain and improve the existing services efficiently;
- Foster market integration towards an European integrated market.
To know more about the Smart Grids ETP, visit the following sections:
- Mission and Objectives
For further information you can also download the presentation brochure and other ETP publications and related documents as well as contact us.